Slow cooked steak and Guinness® pie recipe
- Meat and poultry
- Beef pie
- Steak pie
- Steak and ale pie
A hearty, warming slow cooked steak pie made with Guinness®, mushrooms and shallots. Serve with mashed potato, and carrots or peas.
County Armagh, Northern Ireland, UK
19 people made this
- 5 heaped tablespoons plain flour
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 700g steak pieces
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 20 small shallots
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 500ml Guinness® (or other strong ale)
- 4 Beef OXO® stock cubes
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 2 tablespoons gravy browning (optional but adds a deep brown color)
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 2 teaspoons whole-grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar, or as needed
- 200g chestnut mushrooms
- 1 sheet ready rolled puff pastry
- 1 egg
MethodPrep:20min ›Cook:5hr ›Ready in:5hr20min
- Combine the flour, salt and pepper in a large bowl, add the steak pieces and mix to fully coat the meat.
- Place a casserole dish or saucepan on a medium heat, and add the butter. Once the butter is melted add the meat and cook until all of the meat is browned on the outside, but not fully cooked.
- Preheat the oven to 120 C / Gas 1/2.
- Add the shallots and garlic to the casserole dish, and as soon as they begin to color, turn to a low temperature and add the Guinness®.
- Crumble 4 beef OXO® cubes, the 1 vegetable cube into the pot, add the browning, Worcestershire sauce, tomato puree and whole-grain mustard. If your gravy doesn't cover the meat, you may need to add a little water. Simmer for around 10 minutes. Taste your gravy: you may need to add a little caster sugar to balance the flavor.
- Place your casserole dish (with the lid on) into the oven and leave to cook slowly for as long as possible, at least 1 1/2 hours. I have suggested 4 hours.
- Cut the mushrooms into quarters, and add to the casserole dish around 1 hour before you intend to add the pastry. If you find your gravy too thin at this stage, remove the lid from the casserole dish before continuing to cook.
- 20 minutes before you wish to serve, place the contents of the casserole dish into a pie dish and cover with the puff pastry.Brush the top of the pastry with beaten egg (or melted butter), and then make a few small holes in the pastry for steam to escape.
- Turn the oven up to 200 C / Gas 6 and then place the pie back in to cook the pastry until puffed and golden. Keep a close eye, as ovens and pastry can vastly vary the cooking time.
- Leave to cool for a few minutes and serve.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(1)
Reviews in English (1)
Really tasty, and full of flavours. The other half loved it so much, he had 2 huge helpings. I served it with cheesy mashed potato, buttered cabbage, and roasted peppered carrots.I didn't add the mushrooms to it, as I'm not a fan of them, and I used regular diced onion instead of shallots, but it worked out a treat. Only thing I couldn't understand was why it stated to transfer cooked ingredients from casserole dish to a pastry dish, to cover with the puff pastry.. I didn't bother with that (as I didn't have a big enough dish) I just covered the pastry over the casserole dish, and it was fine... only thing is the pastry sunk in the middle cause obviously it was a deep dish, but it didn't hinder the taste. will definitely make again!-05 Sep 2013
Grocery delivery Meersbrook
Do you want to meet the benefits of grocery delivery in Meersbrook? Get your groceries such as LOreal Paris True Match Touche Magique Concealer Warm Beige, Gruffalo 3 Piece Childrens Cutlery Set and of course Hedrin Once 15 Minute Spray Gel at home! A large part of the available groceries from shelves as Autosprays & Refills and of course Frozen Beef & Mince of the greatest brands like Le Mesnil and Fragelico. You find them effortless and affordable online, whenever you want. Grocery delivery Meersbrook brings your order where and when you want. Find out if supermarkets like Costco and Morrisons have the supermarket delivery service in your town. For citizens of Little Sandhurst this may be different compared to Urbalreagh. Take your postcode (e.g. HD9 3EJ0 or perhaps EC4A 2BG0). Then you will directly see which (eg. Tesco) grocery delivery service in Meersbrook is important for you. Myles (25, Retail buyer) Can not live without the service. “In the supermarket, it is hard to find particular producst. Online is way better”.