Baked Chicken in Sherry Sauce recipe
We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
- Meat and poultry
- Cuts of chicken
- Chicken breast
Chicken breasts are topped with a slice of Swiss cheese, then baked in a sauce made from condensed mushroom soup, soured cream, sherry, butter and dill. A simple, yet elegant chicken dish.
100 people made this
- 6 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- salt and pepper to taste
- 6 slices Swiss cheese, such as Gruyere or Emmental
- 1 (295g) tin condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 125ml sherry
- 4 tablespoons soured cream
- 40g croutons
- 115g butter, melted
- 1/8 teaspoon dried dill
MethodPrep:20min ›Cook:45min ›Ready in:1hr5min
- Preheat oven to 170 C / Gas 3.
- Place chicken in a 23x33cm or similar sized baking dish and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover each chicken breast with a slice of cheese.
- In a medium bowl mix together the soup, sherry and soured cream and pour mixture over chicken. Soften dill in melted butter; toss croutons in butter, and sprinkle them on top of chicken.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(107)
Reviews in English (86)
by No time for dull food
The flavor of this dish has a lot of potential. To increase the layers of flavor I made some alterations. I sauteed the chicken with salt, pepper and added 3 cloves of garlic before adding baking. This step keeps the juices in the chicken which prevents the sauce from becoming watery, as this was a complaint of many others. I also increased the sour cream by 1/4 cup and flavors melded together. I have also considered adding sauteed creminis for more texture in the sauce.-08 Jun 2009
This is one of the few recipes I've tried on this site that I didn't really tweak and it was absolutely DELICIOUS!-23 Apr 2008
This was excellent! My husband and I aren't huge fans of swiss cheese, but I decided to give this a try anyway. I agree with other reviewers that the swiss/sherry combination is very nice. It tastes more sophisticated than your typical cream of mushroom recipe. I followed the recipe exactly. Cooking time was perfect. The chicken was moist and tender. Hubby and I both really liked this. Prep was nice and easy too. Next time, I may try bread crumbs in place of croutons.-11 Jan 2009
- 4 chicken breast halves (2 to 2 1/2 lb total), with skin and bone
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/3 cup Sherry vinegar
- 1/3 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons mild honey
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Put oven rack in upper third of oven and preheat oven to 450°F.
- Pat chicken dry and sprinkle evenly with salt and pepper. 3Heat oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then sear skin side of chicken until golden brown, 4 to 6 minutes. Transfer chicken, skin side up, with tongs to a large shallow baking pan (reserve skillet) and roast until chicken is just cooked through, 20 to 25 minutes. Let chicken stand 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook garlic in reserved skillet over moderately high heat, stirring, until pale golden, 15 to 30 seconds. Add paprika, then immediately add vinegar, stirring and scraping up any brown bits, and boil 1 minute. Add broth and honey and simmer, stirring occasionally, until liquid is reduced to about 1/2 cup, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in butter, 1 tablespoon at a time, until incorporated. Season with salt and serve with chicken.
Sherry-and-cream mushroom baked chicken
Preheat the oven to 180°C. Rub the chicken portions in olive oil, then score the surface of each piece to help the heat penetrate the chicken and cook faster. Arrange on a baking tray and brown in the oven while you make the mushroom sauce.
To make the sauce, soften the leeks in the olive oil in a large, deep, ovenproof pan for 5 minutes over a low heat. Increase the heat and add the mushrooms, sage and garlic and cook for 10 minutes.
Add the sherry and reduce slightly for 2–3 minutes. Add the cream and bring to a simmer while stirring.
Nestle the chicken in the mushroom sauce, submerging it slightly, then bake in the oven for 20–25 minutes, or until the chicken is golden and cooked through. Serve with basmati rice or al dente tagliatelle.
Cook's note: Alternatively, you can cook this with the rice so the grains absorb all the creamy mushroom flavour. Alternatively, keep the rice on the side and substitute it with your carb (or non-carb) of choice.Recipe by: Hannah Lewry View all recipes
Woolworths TASTE’s Food Editor is passionate about conjuring up fresh ideas for fast and easy dishes that taste as great as they look. Turn to her expertise for everything from time-saving mid-week food to lazy weekend meals. You’ll have a lot of fun in the kitchen while you’re about it.
What you need for Baked BBQ Chicken
Here’s what you need. I don’t use – nor do we need – a rub for this recipe because the chicken cooks in the BBQ Sauce so it sucks up plenty of flavour. You’ll see the process steps below!
Best chicken cuts for BBQ Chicken cooked in the oven – use bone in, skin on chicken pieces like thighs (pictured, and shown in video), legs and wings. Bone in breast / Maryland will also work here.
We need skin to get a really lovely glaze, and we need bone in pieces so they can be baked for 50 minutes so they absorb the flavour from the barbecue sauce without drying out.
Simple and delicious! I followed one reviewer's advice to hold aside some of the butter from the browning step and add it when reducing the sauce. I reduced the overall amounts slightly to cook about 1.5 lb drumsticks plus about 1/2 lb of boneless thighs also added 10 oz. of mushrooms. No white pepper on hand, but will be sure to try it next time. I was surprised that a recipe without garlic or onions could be so tasty!
Very good. my chicken didn't "brown" much though. more like poached in the butter, sherry mixture. Next time I would start out with 3 T butter, brown the chicken, THEN add the remaining 3 T at the end to thicken the sauce. This go around, I thinkened my sauce w/a touch of corn starch and added mushrooms to the dish. served over roasted sliced potatoes and along side roasted baby carrots with rosemary, kosher salt and pepper. A wonderful, comforting dinner!
I usually make this with boneless chicken thighs and mashed potatoes. A great recipe that is super easy! I too have added mushrooms on occasion with great success.
Wow, this was fantastic! I used 1lb organic free- range chicken thighs (boneless, skinless). Otherwise followed the recipe exactly (just reduced the cooking time a bit). Simple enough for a weeknight but still company worthy. I served it with an arugula salad.
I will definitely make this again - wonderful, subtle, flavor. I would have no problem serving this to company, but it's easy enough to make in the middle of the week. This is the kind of recipe I look for.
So easy and the sauce was wonderful! My kids loved this. I served it with the yellow pepper risotto from this site (highly recommended).
i actually tried this recipe because it was close to something i was trying to replicate that i had in spain. i made some alterations though, which turned out fantastic. first, i used no ginger, but did use plenty of garlic and about 5 shallots. i also used drumsticks (they come out very tender and almost fall off the bone). i used about 1/3 butter and 2/3 olive oil. also, i used more than 1 cup of sherry (maybe 2.5) and let it reduce for quite a while over low heat while basting the drumsticks. the sherry and the shallots carmelize and create a very pungent sauce. and i used all the sauce ingredients after the chicken was browned to let it all baste together. it turned out fabulous. very rich flavor. served with green bean almondine.
i used boneless breasts which came out pale and sickly looking. The sauce is definitely tasty but the meal itself is missing something. i served it over egg noodles which combined nicely with the sauce but the whole presentation and flavor seemed bland and uninspired. I am always looking for new chicken recipes and even though this one is quick, in my opinion, it just lacked any punch.
Delicious! I'm a big fan of Ginger and Sherry! Served with Risotto Milanese also on this website. I added Sherry to the Risotto also. Will make this for company, it looks and tastes like I worked a lot harder than I did!
A GOOD QUICK RECIPE - I ADDED SAUTED MUSHROOMS & USED BONELESS/SKINLESS BREASTS -- SURE BEATS SHAKE&BAKE WHEN YOU NEED A DINNER WITH SMALL PREP TIME.
This was easy and tasty. I would increase the ginger next time for a little more flavor, but my family loved it as the recipe reads. I served it with buttered noodles and steamed artichokes.
Very pleasant and as easy as rolling off a log to make. I used boneless skinless chicken thighs and added toasted sliced almonds at the end to add an interesting texture. Will definitely make again.
This is just like the ginger chicken recipe that my Mom used to make, she used only thighs. I love it, try it with noodles
Excellent, fast and easy. Next time I'll cut down on the butter. I thought it went well over rice.
I wasn't too crazy about this dish. It was easy to make and tasted o.k., but just wasn't worth more than two forks to us.
like all J. Beard's recipe, this is a keeper! Try your next search under his name and get all of his keepers!
This recipe was great. I'm not the most experienced of chefs and this turned out great on the first try! I made it with whole cornish game hens and instead of just sauteing them I popped them in the oven and they were great!
My fiance flips out every time I make this for him - and I love it too. I used a sweeter sherry one time and it was not nearly as good. The real beauty of the dish comes from the sweetness & the saltiness together. I make this with a potato gratin with Swiss or Guyere - really great winter eating.
This dish is so easy and tastes great. I make it often. It's even better with Port instead of Sherry.
the dish is a light meal that is good for a date, women should love this twist on chicken, and it is simple. served with mixed green salad, sauted red potato, and a chardonay, this is a good meal. the reason i gave it a three, its not a great leftover item, eat hot.
This is just simply one of the yummiest chicken dishes I've come across. The combination of butter and sherry on the chicken makes it slightly sweet, but with a depth not usually found in sweet-sauced dishes. I've made it with both unsalted and salted butter, and it doesn't seem to make much of a difference. Magnifique!
Astray Recipes: Chicken baked with sherry-peach sauce
The chicken in this recipe is baked on the bone in a sweet and savory sauce, then finished off with sherry and peaches. Try using any other fruits--either fresh or frozen that sound tasty.
Cut any excess fat from the chicken. Place the chicken, bone side down, in a single layer in a large baking dish. Season with the garlic powder, salt and pepper. Broil for several minutes, until the chicken is slightly browned. Set aside.
Coat a medium saucepan with nonstick spray. Cook the onions over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add the broth, brown sugar, arrowroot and chili sauce.
Raise the heat to high and bring the sauce to a boil, stirring constantly.
Remove the pan from the heat and pour the sauce over the chicken. Cover the chicken with a piece of foil. Refrigerate until ready to bake or continue with the next step.
Preheat the oven to 350°. Bake the chicken for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and pour the sherry and peaches over the chicken. Bake uncovered, basting occasionally, for 30 minutes more, or until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce is bubbling.
Preparation and cooking time: 20 minutes Baking time: 1 hour Posted to bbq-digest V5 #470 by "david klose" [email protected] > on Aug 17, 97
Oven Baked Chicken Recipe
Delicious Roasted Chicken Recipe
Preparation time: ꀠ minutes. Serves 4
- One 3-4 pound chicken (free range would be extra special)
- Sea Salt or Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
- Butter at room temperature
- 1 large onion
- 6 sprigs of parsley (or your favorite herb)
- 3/4 cup dry sherry or dry Madeira or a dry white wine (or substitute chicken stock)
- 3-4 slices of bacon
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F
- Rub the chicken inside and out with the salt, pepper and butter
- Chop the onion coarsely and stuff the cavity with it and the parsley
- Put a generous lump of butter in and tie the cavity up with some heavy string or twine
- Place the chicken in a baking or roasting pan ਊnd pour the wine or chicken stock over it
- Lay the slices of bacon criss-cross over the breast
- Put the chicken in the oven and bake for 2 hours, basting every 20 minutes
- Use your thermometer to check for doneness
- Let stand for at least 10 minutes before slicing (Need help slicing? Click here.)
- Place the sliced chicken in the center of a platter and surround it with oven roasted potatoes and vegetables. How wonderful that looks!
- Drizzle just a little juice from the chicken over the potatoes and vegetables.
Enjoy your chicken recipe and the company of those you share it with! - Donna
Did you know?hickens have been domesticated for over 4,000 years.
What Ingredients Are in Chicken in Garlic and Herb Sauce
Lots of garlic and I mean lots of garlic. About 8 cloves of garlic, to be precise. Lots of fresh herbs like fresh oregano and fresh thyme. The garlic with these fresh herbs are amazing together.
I also use some low sodium chicken broth and some sherry wine. Sherry is a fortified wine and can range from sweet to quite dry. Because it’s a fortified wine it’s usually higher in alcohol and longer-lasting. In some countries like Spain, sherry wine is savored like a fine whiskey.
The sherry I used here is a dry red wine, so if you don’t have sherry on hand, a regular dry red wine would work. However, I always keep a bottle of sherry around because it’s perfect for deglazing and making delicious pan sauces.
Chicken With Muenster & Sherry Sauce
Place on each chicken breast one slice cheese, herbs and garlic. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roll up and dredge rolls, lightly, in flour. Pierce each roll with toothpick.
Heat oil, over medium-high heat, in a heavy skillet and brown the rolls on all sides (move the toothpick if you have to). Set Rolls in an oven dish.
In same skillet,reduce heat to medium, add butter,then 2 Tb flour. Whisk constantly for 2 minutes. Add Sherry and stock deglaze the pan. Turn the heat up and reduce the sauce a bit until thickened. Taste the sauce and add Salt and Pepper to your liking.
Pour sauce over the chicken and cover the pan lightly with foil. Bake 20-30 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
Asian Baked Chicken Legs
- Author: Dan
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 6 Servings 1 x
This easy chicken recipe is a go to dinner at our house! Serve this chicken with rice and broccoli or crispy french fries!
- 1 recipe Homemade Stir Fry Sauce
- 12 – 15 chicken legs, skin on (can remove the skin if desired)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- Sesame seeds for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Add the chicken legs to a baking rack placed over a baking sheet. Spray the rack with non-stick cooking spray.
- Season the chicken legs with the salt, pepper and garlic powder. Add more seasoning if you need to, just make sure the chicken is coated well in the spices.
- Bake the chicken for 30 minutes. While the chicken is cooking you can make the stir fry sauce recipe for the glaze. Once the sauce is finished cover the pot with a lid to keep warm until the chicken is done.
- After 30 minutes, remove the chicken from the oven and add a generous layer of the glaze. Return the pan to the oven and cook another 10 minutes. Remove the chicken legs again, glaze one more time and then bake another 5 minutes.
- Garnish with sesame seeds if desired.
Keywords: chicken legs, easy chicken recipes, dinner ideas, dinner recipes, oven baked chicken, asian glaze